MAINE MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD
Question 5 was approved by 59% of voters on November 3, 2009, which establishes a confidential medical marijuana patient registry and identification card system to Maine medical marijuana laws. This means that patients in Maine must register with the Department of Health and Human Services to receive a medical marijuana card in order to receive the protections of Maine’s Medical Marijuana laws. The first step in doing so is to obtain a medical marijuana recommendation from a physician licensed in the state of Maine. Find a medical marijuana doctor in Maine here.
HOW TO OBTAIN A MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD IN MAINE
- Complete the MMMP Patient Application, including the caregiver section, if applicable
- Fill out a Release of Medical Information form, which allows representatives from the MMMP to speak with your physician and/or primary caregiver
- Have your doctor fill out a MMMP Physician Certification
- Write a check or money order in the amount of $100.00 (or $75.00 for those on MaineCare)made payable to: Treasurer, State of Maine
- Send all of the above to:
ATTN: Medical Marijuana Program
DHHS Division of Licensing and Regulatory Services
11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA IN MAINE
- Must be a resident of Maine with a valid Maine I.D. as proof of residency. If you do not have a Maine I.D. an out of state I.D., passport, or other photo I.D. with proof of residency such as bank statement, utility bill, etc. is acceptable.
- You must obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from your primary care physician describing their diagnosis and bring these records with you to your marijuana evaluation appointment. Learn how to request your medical records.
- Obtain an authenticated, written certification from a physician licensed in the state of Maine, with whom you maintain a bona fide relationship with, stating that that you might benefit from the medical use of marijuana. This must be printed on tamper-proof paper. Find a medical marijuana doctor in Maine here.
- Register with the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Program to recieve a registry id card, AKA medical marijuana card. Note: As of September 28, 2011 this registry program is strictly optional.